1/11/2009

THOMAS HOOD loves ROSES


I will not have the mad Clytie,

Whose head is turn'd by the sun ;

The tulip is a courtly queen,

Whom, therefore I will shun ;

The cowslip is a country wench,

The violet is a nun ;

But I will woo the dainty rose,

The queen of everyone.


The pea is but a wanton witch,

In too much haste to wed,

And clasps her rings on every hand ;

The wolfsbane I should dread ;

Nor will I dreary rosemarye,

That always mourns the dead ;

But I will woo the dainty rose,

With her cheeks of tender red.


The lilt is all in white, like a saint,

And so is no mate for me,

And the daisy's cheep is tipp'd with a blush,

She is of such low degree ;

Jasmine is sweet, and has many loves,

And the brooms betroth'd to the bee ;

But I will plight with the dainty rose,

For fairest of all is she.


Thomas Hood


A Victorian Anthology 1837 - 1895


Wolfsbane or Aconitum belongs to the buttercup family and has sharp edges like teeth and spiralling petals.


www.mauways.co.nz/ catalog/index.php?cPath=25

No comments:

Post a Comment